help and guidance
We have published a series of guidance documents that will help you understand specific areas of the Global Standard for Storage and Distribution.
1. Although we primarily store and distribute products we do a small amount of packing of products. Does the Global Standard for Storage and Distribution apply to me?
If the repacking operation involves open food products, then the answer is no. Where open food products are processed, including packing, then the Global Standard for Food Safety should be used instead.
2. What are the main differences between Issue 2 and Issue 3 of the Global Standard for Storage and Distribution?
The consultation and review of emerging food safety concerns since the development of Issue 3 identified a number of opportunities for further improvement. The key objectives identified for the working groups were to:
- Provide greater focus on security in terms of product, load and vehicles.
- Introduce a grading system to provide a true reflection of the standards at the sites and to offer more opportunities for the best sites to differentiate themselves.
- Include requirements to encourage wholesalers to reduce their exposure to food fraud.
- Ensure the requirements and audit process are focused on reducing the issues most frequently causing recalls and withdrawals.
- Introduce a voluntary unannounced audit scheme to instil greater customer confidence.
- Provide consistency with our other Global Standards.